If you own an iPad or iPhone, you probably already have Apple’s Files app installed. The files app on iOS and iPad not only is useful while managing files on your iPhone or on your iCloud storage but can also be used to access files of various other storage devices, file servers and cloud services.
Connecting to a Computer or File Server
- Tap on the three-dot symbol at the top of the Browse screen.
- Tap on Connect to Server.
- Now enter your local hostname or network address, and then tap Connect.
- Now you can select whether you want to connect as a guest or as a Registered user. To connect as a guest the server must allow guest connections, if you are registered you can use your username and password to connect to the server.
- Tap next, now you will be connected to the file server and can access the Server from the Browse screen under the Shared section.
To disconnect from the server, click on the Eject/Disconnect icon next to the server’s name.
Using a cloud storage service from the files app
- To use a specific cloud storage service, firstly download the respective app from the App Store.
- Now open your cloud provider’s app and complete the sign in and setup process following the on-screen instructions.
- Open the Files app and go to the Browse screen, you can find your Cloud Storage under the Locations section.
(If you can’t find your service under Locations, click on the three-dot icon on the top of the screen and tap Edit, now from the list of all available storage locations find your required location and tap on it to enable it.)
Connecting to an external storage device.
- To connect to an external storage device such as USB Drive, SD card, external SSD/HDD, you will need necessary cables and adapters.
- For USB drives, the device must have a single partition that is formatted in a supported file format such as FAT, FAT32, exFAT, or APFS.
- You will find your device in the Locations section of the Browse screen in the files app.
The new macOS Monterey is the macOS 12 we never knew we needed.
Apple Car now has another big name from the auto industry working on it.